Now, before we start with the login and setup process of our D-Link router, it would be a good idea to first gain some knowledge of what exactly a router is, what it does and how it works. Obviously, you can go about setting up your router without knowing about all these queries that I have listed out. D-Link is a Taiwanese based Multinational networking equipment manufacturing company which took off in the year 1986 and have come a long way since then. This Multinational company is one of the top leading networking company worldwide and has made quite a reputation in the field of networking and security products.
It’s necessary to the first login to D-Link Router in order to make any kind of operations like Changing Wi-Fi Name and password, username and password, Updating DHCP client addresses, Changing Firewall Settings, etc.,
A router to simply put it may be defined as a network hardware device which enables communication between your local home network or devices like computer, mobile phones and tablets and the whole of the internet, whereas modem may be defined as the device which actually provides the Internet so to say.
Knowing how a router works may be one of the most important concepts you can get hold of while setting up your network system at home. This may be considered the very fundamental foundation of setting up a successful and smoothly running home or office network. Basically, a router works as the middle man between a modem and a device which you will use to connect and use the Internet. The router acts as the first line of security when it comes to protecting your network from any unwanted intrusion. Moreover, a router plays a key role in maintaining and directing traffic by forwarding data packets among several computer networks. They basically work like traffic police when it comes to directing data packets from one router to the other until it reaches the destination node as desired.
So to put it in more simpler terms, a router may be seen as a device which connects itself to a modem via a network cable and then connects to the network interface cards of other devices which may be done via a network cable or may be done wirelessly. Hence, a router is basically a middle man connecting a modem and your everyday devices like Laptops, PCs, Mobile Phones and Tablets, so that you can access the net easily be it a single device at a time or be it multiple devices at a time.
- First and foremost, a router provides a connection between two different network architectures like between an Ethernet and a token ring architecture or Ethernet and a mesh network architecture an so on. This is one of the most important advantages a router provides.
- Secondly, it may greatly reduce network traffic which may be caused due to unwanted collusion of packets by creating collision domains.
- Thirdly, it allows the data packets to choose the best path across networks using different dynamic routing algorithms.
Steps for setup & configure of D-Link Router:
The whole process of setting up and configuring you D-Link Router device may be broadly divided into three main components. Here, by components I mean the three important devices required in order to set up the whole network system.
The components or device may be as follows :
- PC (CPU) or Laptop
Also, you will need two Network or Ethernet cables in order to connect all the devices together for the configuration process. Okay, once you have got hold of all the three devices and Ethernet cables. Let us further head toward the step by step guide to set up and configure the network system.
- The very first step you need to follow is to take your Modem device, Switch it off and unplug it of the power supply if it is connected.
- Then get the two Ethernet cables and connect the modem to the router with one Ethernet cable and then connect the router to the computer to successfully start of the setup process.
- Now, look at your Modem and you will see the Ethernet port at the back of the Modem. You need to connect one end of the Ethernet cable to that port and then the other end into the WAN port behind that of the Router device. The WAN port will most probably be located at the back of the Router too along with the LAN ports.
NOTE: When plugging in the Ethernet cable into the WAN port of the router you should cautiously see which one is the WAN port as there are a number of LAN ports too that you will find at the back of the Router device.
- Once the first Ethernet port is used to connect the Modem and Router. Now, its time to connect the Router and your PC system or Laptop. You will then need to take the second Ethernet cable and connect the two devices by plugging in one end of the Ethernet cable into the LAN port behind the Router and then the other end into the Ethernet port of your Computer system which too you will find mostly behind your CPU or in the side of your Laptop adjacent to the USB ports.
With all that the physical connection part of the guide is done. Now, we will need to set up and configure the device accordingly.
- Firstly, switch on the modem and let it boot up for about 40 to 60 seconds.
- Now, plug in the router to a power supply and switch it on. After that let the router to boot. The initial booting process should take around 30 to 40 seconds of time.
- Once that is done, then Plug in your computer system to a power supply and power it on. While doing this if you have a laptop or your PC has a wireless network adapter, make sure that it is not connected to any wireless devices or network.
- Then check the indicator lights on the router. If you have followed and done all the steps accordingly then you should see the Power, WAN, WLAN, Status and port 1 lights blinking. If you cannot see one of the lights blinking or glowing then check your connections and make sure everything is connected properly.
- Once you are done checking now its time for the easy part. Just open up any browser on your PC or laptop and enter the address 192.168.0.1 into the browser’s address bar and press enter. If you have done everything correctly then you should be directed to your router’s configuration page.
Now, after you have successfully been redirected to the configuration process, type in “admin” in the User Name and leave the password field blank and press enter. You should be able to enter the Configuring menu page of your router. After all, that is done. This is where the actual fun part begins as this is where you will be able to gain full access to your home network system and router device. Now we will see how to set up the password and other configuration for your router device.
How to Setup Password For D-Link Router?
Now, since you are able to log in into your D-Link router. It is advised that you change the password from the default password to something new otherwise anybody could log in to your router and mingle with the settings. So, let’s see how to go about doing this.
- Firstly, after you are inside the router home screen, go to the Internet and then click on the SETUP tab and click on the “Launch Internet Connection Setup Wizard” to start the Router setup wizard and then click “Next” button.
- Once that is done you will land up on the next page which will ask you to enter the new password of your choice. Enter your desired new password and then click on the “Next” button.
- Then select the appropriate time zone according to your location. The device needs this information for configuring the router according to the time-based options.
- After that select your internet connection type. Most often for home networks, the most common type is DHCP connection. But, if you are not sure then you can connect your Internet Service Provider for the ensure the correct type.
- Lastly, you will be asked to clone your PC MAC Address if it’s not automatically filled. You can either leave it empty or clone the MAC Address by clicking on the “Clone Your PC’s MAC Address” and then next click on the “Connect” button to complete your Setup process.
You have successfully configured and logged in your Router. Now all you need to do is open up your browser again after letting your router reboot for around two minutes and then test the connection by going to any website of your desire. You can log in to your router any time simply following the same process as shown earlier but this time you will need to type in the new password when you log in.